Monday, June 14, 2010

RADIATION - GETTING NUKED

My first visit to the radiologist was 2 days after my last chemo. To be honest, I don't remember much that was said. I did warn Dr. G that I was still suffering from chemo brain and would not remember a lot. I still don't. The first few visits involved getting marked up for the nuking. They (the nukers) take magic markers and draw all over the area to be nuked. You have to be very careful to not wash off these marks. It is not easy taking a shower and not being able to wash your chest.
They put me on a stretcher/table with a "form" under me. This form molded to my back and head. Every day when I go I get on the table, on my "form" and they touch up my marks. You have to lie with your hands over your head. They then adjust me and leave the room. I am guessing they don't want any part of getting nuked. Then this REALLY BIG machine goes over head to my side. Then the nuking starts. All you hear is the noise it makes as it goes into your body. Then the machine adjusts again and you get nuked again. THEN, it goes over your head and to the other side. You get nuked twice on that side. You can't feel or see the radiation. But, believe me, after a couple of weeks, your skin feels it. It is like a really bad sunburn. But they give you some lotion to use and it does help. This goes on every day, Monday through Friday.
THEN, after a few weeks, I had a ct scan, and a new form was made. This one requires that I become a contortionist. I have to lie on my side with my left arm stretched out over my head. They then lower the machine until it almost touching you. They are nuking the area where the cancer was located. I do this for 6 more times. Then I am finished - with cancer and all that it entails. To be honest, the radiation is a cake walk compared to chemo. You are just tired - but nothing like chemo tired. I am mostly tired of having to get up and drive into Myrtle Beach every day - it takes anywhere from 20-30 minutes one way. I will not miss that drive.
The people at the nuking place are really nice and all the techs are so sweet. I don't know if I will write much more after this, but if anyone out there needs someone to talk to about this, please don't hesitate to call on me. I will do anything I can to help you. God bless each and every one of you who have been with me through all this. Thank you for your encouragement, kind words and most of all, your love.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sharon. It takes real courage to detail your life in such a manner. Although I know it takes time from your busy life to involve us, we are given a sense of joy just from reading the experiences of strength you have. Good fortune, good luck, and God Bless.

    your cousin Allen

    ReplyDelete